Book Musings: 6 Young Adult Books Which Changed Me



The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: To be honest, I had avoided reading this story for the longest time just because the hype surrounding the book was just too much to bear. And then Sudeshna read it, and wouldn’t shut up about the book and finally, I ordered the book. I got absorbed into the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters…and while I cried buckets, I also realized an important thing: a person is so much more than just what sets a limit on them. The story truly touched my heart and I have watched the movie a couple of times as well. I believe John Green sent out a very important message with this particular tale. And it changed me. For the better.

Favourite Quote: “The world is not a wish granting factory.” – Augustus Waters.

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven: I bought this book mainly because of how much it had taken over social media and people wouldn’t stop talking about Finch. It was really the tag line that made me open the book and almost finish the story in a couple of days – “The story of a girl who learns to live from a boy who wants to die.” I believe that is the most heartbreakingly beautiful line that I’ve read in recent times. This particular story just makes you realize you need to be nicer to people. You have no idea what personal demons everyone you meet might be fighting. Just be kind. It honestly doesn’t cost you anything, and gives the other person hope.

Favourite Quote: “You’re all the colours in one at full brightness.” ~ Theodore Finch.

Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaria: Laurel shifts schools following her sister’s untimely death, hoping to escape from it all. Only everything comes back to haunt her, when she slowly begins to write letters to the dead as part of an English assignment that she never hands in. I found it to be a beautiful story about how children often do not know right from wrong, and don’t know who to turn to for help. Parents need to pay more attention to their kids, no matter how full their schedules seem to be.

Favourite Quote: “There is more to life than just being a passenger.”
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher: The book warns you about containing mature themes, and then you realize that this book is the story of every girl ever caught in the cycle of being a victim to a vicious rumour. The book completely broke my heart, and I could feel the struggle between Hannah and Clay. It’s an entirely horrible feeling when you care about someone, but are unable to save them. And Hannah gives you 13 Reasons Why she did what she did...

Favourite Quote: “A lot of you cared, just not enough.”

Roger and Amy’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson: I actually read Morgan Matson’s second novel, Since You’ve Been Gone, first and I wasn’t too happy about it. But this one really restored my faith in the happily ever after, even after life has screwed you up completely enough times. Complete with road maps and little notes scrawled alongside the main text of the novel, I felt I was on this journey with them. The epic detour was on the epic reads of my life in 2015.

Favourite Quote: “The best discoveries always happened to people who weren’t looking for it.”

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger:  The reason why I loved this book is because it broke the stereotype that the female lead needs to be slender and good looking. Bianca is a little overweight and that’s okay, because even though she struggles with being the Designated Ugly Fat Friend (D.U.F.F.), she embraces who she is and falls in love with the guy she was merely hooking up with. The guy who happens to have gotten under her skin and while we think this is bound to be a trainwreck, this story tells you how people who love each other can survive anything and find their way back again.

Favourite Quote: “No matter where you go, or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually.”

Comments