Book Review: Tell Me Three Things


1. Julie Buxbaum is the author of the critically acclaimed The Opposite of Love and After You, and the soon to be released YA novel Tell Me Three Things and her work has been translated into twenty-five languages. 

2. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, two young children, and an immortal goldfish, and once received an anonymous email which inspired her YA debut.

3. You can visit Julie online at www.juliebuxbaum.com and follow @juliebux on Twitter where she doesn’t list everything in groups of three.



I binged read Tell Me Three Things on my Nook Book over the last two days. While I was not too surprised by the premise of the novel, I must say that I felt really good after I was done reading the story. Jessie Holmes is new to the preppy private school that her father’s new wife is sending her to. She has a stepbrother, Theo, who is also in her class and who is struggling to fit into an instant family just like she is. And navigating this new world is proving to be difficult for Jessie.

It is then that a kind stranger dubbing himself Somebody Nobody decides to help her out albeit anonymously. Jessie’s voice is refreshing as the teenager who doesn’t know how to handle her life any better than her peers but does a good job of faking it. She struggles to fit into a her new life, longs to go back to her old one – only to realize that sometimes we are left with no choice but to just move forward. As is with the case of such books where the whole thrill lies in discovering the secret identities of the people, I cannot go too much into the details.

But I will say that I had this warm happy feeling in my stomach when she finally realizes who Somebody Nobody is. It was a lovely read. Julie Buxbaum has fast become one of the YA authors whose stories I will be looking forward to reading.

Comments